Blackboard & NBC
What are NBC Learn Videos?
Find out about NBC Learn Videos on our Web Site
For more than 80 years, NBC News has been documenting the people, places, and events that have shaped our world. Now, for the first time, NBC Learn is making these historic and current events resources available to faculty, instructional technologists, course designers, librarians, and students. NBC Learn HigherEd includes:
- Over 10,000 resources - short 2 to 5 minute videos are engaging, relevant and inspiring, help connect real-world applications to course materials.
- In class and online use - great for research, in-class debate or discussion, or embed into Learning Management Systems for Distance Learning.
- Aligned to 28 Higher Ed courses - topics range from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, U.S. History, Global Studies, Health & Nursing, Psychology, Business, Marketing, Journalism, Sociology, and more.
- Personal playlists - keep resources organized or share them with others.
- Reliable and trustworthy - each resource is selected to be educationally appropriate, and held to the highest NBC News Standards and Practices.
- Interactive CueCard - patent pending media player makes downloading, annotating, citing and embedding resources fun and easy.
- Emmy award-winning original video - NBC Learn series including "Science of NFL Football," "Science of the Olympic Winter Games," "Chemistry NOW!" and "Finishing the Dream: Learning from the Civil Rights Era."
- Search by topic, keyword, or date - advanced search technology enables a variety of compound searches.
NBC Learn Videos in Blackboard
You embed NBC Learn videos directly into your Bb course in two ways:
1. Add the video from within the Text Editor
2. As it's own 'stand-alone' object
From within any Text-Box Editor.The editor is present when you create an Item, Discussion Forum, Assignment, Test, Journal, Blog or Wiki.
Click the Mashup tools, then select NBC Learn Videos. You will find the "mashup" tool within any Text Box Editor.
Search for your video and select Embed to add it to the text box.
After you have embedded the video, you can continue to enter text etc. into the Text Box.
Click Submit when finished.
Stand alone ObjectAccess any Bb content area, such as Course Material
Click the Build Item button
Select NBC Learn Videos from the menu
Select your video and click Embed (as shown above)
Your video will be added directly to the content area. You will not have the opportunity to add additional text around the video.